In 2018 Queensland Athletics is making some changes to qualification for the A Squad. Colloquially known as "Australia's Top 8" the Squad was previously based around standards that reflected a five year average of National Championships top eight performances for each event. Qualification for the A Squad will now be purely through top 8 placings at any of the following Championships.
1. Australian Cross Country Championships
2. Australian All Schools Championships
3. Australian Junior Combined Events Championships
4. Australian Track & Field Championships
5. Other relevant Open National Titles (eg. Zatopek 10,000m, 20km Race Walking Championships)
The A Squad will continue to recognise the very elite of Queensland talent, with a higher emphasis of performing on the big stage of a National Championships.