The Queensland Athletics Target Talent Program (TTP) is a high performance pathway program funded and regulated in partnership with Athletics Australia. It is strongly aligned with activities of the Athletics Australia High Performance Department and has been established to:
- Act as the early talent identification component of Athletics Australia’s High Performance strategy
- Encourage the best young athletes in the State by inviting them to be part of a State level squad and participate in development opportunities
- Encourage and develop the best local coaches through recognising them as State Coaches
- Create meaningful contact in the off-season between State Coaches and the best young athletes in the State and their personal coaches
- Create a National pool of identified coaches in each event group (i.e. State Coaches for Sprints & Hurdles, Endurance & Walks, Jumps, Throws and Combined Events) who model best practice at the local level
By identifying and engaging Queensland’s best junior athletes and coaches through development opportunities, the QA TTP aims to encourage them to achieve their potential and go on to represent Australia at youth, junior and senior levels.
The QA TTP program will focus on athletes born in 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004.
State Coaches will be appointed within four event groups (Sprints & Hurdles, Endurance, Jumps, Throws and Combined Events) and will act as points of contact for TTP squad athletes and their personal coaches.
Throughout 2019/20 athletes who meet inclusion criteria and their personal coaches will be invited to attend QA TTP Squad Days which will incorporate a combination of relevant event group training clinics and both general and event-specific education workshops.
Athletes born between 2001-2004, who placed in the top three at the below Championships will be eligible to signal their interest in being apart of the 2020 Queensland Athletics Target Talent Program;
- 2019 Australian Cross Country Championships
- 2019 Australian Winter Race Walking Championships
- 2019 Australian All Schools Championships
- 2020 Queensland Athletics Championships
*Please note due to the current Covid-19 outbreak there have been adjustments to qualification process and delivery method for the 2020 Target Talent Program. We are endeavouring to start some athlete, coach and parent sessions online in the near future. More information to follow.